Sunday, September 8, 2013

DIY Crop Top



It's almost winter, so this post is a bit on the late end of things, but its SO worth it. I love crop tops, I think they pair well with high-wasted anything (shorts, skirts, leggings, etc.) This crop top is super easy because I'm leaving the raw edges of the shirt un-seemed, this makes it more edgy/casual. Although this is a fairly simple tutorial, it is NOT from a pre-existing shirt, thus, you will need to know how to sew!

The supplies you will need:
Fabric - you will need about a half yard for this depending on your size (you will probably have extra fabric, but better safe than sorry!) Fabric should be jersey-ish material, which means it should be light and preferably stretchy.
Top/Tank as a guide (you will use this as a template to trace/cut your fabric)
Scissors
Thread
Sewing Machine



Lay your fabric with a half fold. Lay your Tank/Top half folded vertically on top of your fabric with both folded ends on the right side. Begin cutting your fabric, using your top as a 'tracer'.


When you are finished cutting your first piece, begin your second piece following the same instructions. You should have 2 pieces of fabric that look like this when finished:



Next, you will begin your sewing. Start by sewing the straps together, connecting the front and back of your top. Make sure when you are sewing them together, your shirts WRONG side is out and the RIGHT side is in.


If you are like me, you like detail in your clothing. I decided to add just a little detail in the back of my top but cutting a straight line down the middle of the back side fabric. I then simply sewed it back together, leaving a spine to my top.


Next, you will sew up the sides of your shirt. Super easy....


Your done! Can you believe it? So simple, and SO rewarding to have during hot summer days. I chose not to sew a seem on my raw edges, but if you are comfortable with seeming, this is the time to do them. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment